Events, Webinars and Education
American Rescue Plan Office Hours: Free Weekly Call-in Sessions
Beginning July 27
The UNC School of Government is piloting ARP Office Hours for North Carolina local governments. Call in to get your questions answered. Free and no registration required.
These sessions will be focused on providing the latest updates and addressing local government technical questions about expenditure authority and compliance requirements. The hope is that local governments will also be able to share information and helpful tips with each other during the calls. Experts from UNC will be joined on some calls by colleagues at the School of Government, as well as colleagues from the NC League of Municipalities, NC Association of County Commissioners, NC Pandemic Recovery Office, Department of State Treasurer, and others.
Tuesday, July 27 at 8:30am
Monday, August 2 at 12:00pm
Thursday, August 12 at 8:30am
Wednesday, August 18 at 12:00pm
Meeting ID: 388 456 5711
American Rescue Plan Act: Regional Information Sessions for Local Governments
June 30 and July 1, 2021
Please revisit this expert-led, informational session about the American Rescue Plan -- featuring remarks from Governor Roy Cooper, presentations and Q&As from state agencies and organizations supporting local governments, and many more sections hosted by subject experts.
Linked below are a recording and the slides from the sessions.
This event was hosted by NCLM, in partnership with NCPRO, the UNC School of Government, the North Carolina Metro Mayors Association, Hometown Strong, the N.C. Association of County Commissioners, the N.C. Regional Councils of Government, the N.C. Rural Center, the N.C. Office of State Budget Management, the N.C. Department of Commerce, the N.C. Department of State Treasurer, the N.C. Broadband Infrastructure Office, the N.C. Department of Environmental Quality and the Governor's Office.
- Welcome and Overview of the Information Session -Stephanie McGarrah, NCPRO
- Introduction of Governor Cooper - Lee Lilley, Governor’s Office
- Transformational Opportunity of American Rescue Plan Act Funds - Governor Roy Cooper
- What does the State plan to do with its funds that will assist local governments? - Charlie Perusse and Kristin Walker, Office of State Budget Management
- How can Local Fiscal Recovery Funds be used? How is this different from CARES? - Lisa Fox, NCPRO and Kara Millonzi, UNC School of Government
- What are the regional planning opportunities to address broader economic needs? - Lee Worsley, Robert Hiett, and Nathan Ramsey, NC Regional Councils of Government
- Question and Answer - Jamilla Hawkins, NCPRO
- Technical Guidance Session – Moderated by Paige Worsham, Association of County Commissioners, and Chris Nida, League of Municipalities
- Overview of Session and Introduction of Panelists - Paige Worsham and Chris Nida
- How can ARPA funds be used in current budget? - Paige Worsham and Chris Nida
- How should you set up the fund accounts? What are other financial considerations for these funds? - Kara Millonzi and Greg Allison, UNC School of Government
- What federal and state compliance and audit requirements are likely? -Sharon Edmundson, Local Government Commission
- What resources are available if you need help? - Nate Halubka, NCPRO
- Wrap up, Future Sessions and Next Steps – Stephanie McGarrah, NCPRO
American Rescue Plan: Local Government Commission Guidance
June 16, 2021
NCLM and NCACC hosted a joint Q&A session with the N.C. State Treasurer’s office staff about the ARP funding for local governments. The webinar discussed the specifics of accounting for American Rescue Plan funds for cities and towns.
Slides from this presentation can be downloaded below.
American Rescue Plan: Exploring US Treasury Spending Guidance
May 24, 2021
This information and Q&A session on Monday, May 24, featuring Mike Wallace with the National League of Cities, addressed the framework for the Treasury’s Interim Final Rule, looked at both allowed and restricted expenditures, and reviewed the most pressing questions posed by our members.
The slides are available below.
NCLM Webinar: Accessing American Rescue Plan Funding
May 11, 2021
For the more than 500 non-CDBG cities whose ARP funds will pass through the State of N.C., there are requirements that municipalities will need to complete before they can receive the funds.
The N.C. Pandemic Recovery Office has created a checklist of those requirements, and in partnership with the N.C. League, conducted an informational webinar on Tuesday, May 11 to share that information.
American Rescue Plan: Primer for Municipal Officials (Webinar)
March 23, 2021
With the passage of the American Rescue Plan on March 11, direct assistance will be provided to cities and towns for the first time since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic. In North Carolina, those funds will total more than $1.3 billion. Billions more will be provided to counties and to the state.
During this webinar, experts and experienced local leaders examined the ARP, expected funding, and allowable uses. They also provided key lessons from their experience with federal funds, and shared ways to prepare for needed accounting and administration.